Friday, May 9, 2008

It finally came in handy...

Hello everyone, this is my first blog during the trip because computer time is a highly desired service. Fortunately, Kristen is nice enough to let me use her laptop for the small price of 10 zloty (just kidding). So, as you readers may or may not know, I have a background in Polish Folk dancing. I was part of a Polish Folk dancing group (shoutout to my fellow Kopernik folk dancers) for the majority of my childhood/teenage years. It was always very fun performing (especially at the delicious Wigalia dinners), but I became somewhat reluctant to continue it when I reached middle/high school because well.. let's face it... "Well, I know how to dance the Clarinet Polka" is not the best way to make friends and score dates. However, my mother always told me that this skill would "come in handy" some day and I would not regret doing it. I never believed her.

Tonight, I changed my mind completely. I am finally truly thankful that I endured the years of sweating in layers of costumes and embarrassment of performing in front of my teenage friends at the Binghamton Mets baseball games on Polish Heritage Day. After a day filled with beautiful scenery and buildings, a grueling climb up 400 sketchy steps (even sketchier on the way down) for a totally worth it view, and the excitement of seeing the longest plank of wood in the world (!!) we went to a traditional Kaszubian restaurant (owned and operated by a family that lived above it) and enjoyed, in my opinion, the tastiest meal we have had yet! I was incredibly hungry, and the serve-yourself family style of eating was just perfect! After dinner, the 6 family members performed 3 traditional dances for us (one in which the men made sure the women looked good from all angles, one to make sure the women were not crooks, and one to make sure the women were physically fit) as well as some songs on some very... interesting percussion instruments (one resembling the devil and one made out of a horses tail) which some of us also got to play.

Here comes the intersesting part... the Kazubian family began to dance again and the boy who looked about our age grabbed my hand and asked me to dance with him. I was like, oh wow... I kind of know what I am doing. (although our PFD group had no male members and I never danced with a partner before, the basic rhythm of dancing is very easy to follow once you learn it). It is safe to say that I had one of the funnest (don't care that this isn't a real word) partner dancing experiences of my life. I was out of breath by the end, wearing my partners hat, and was not sure my dinner was going to stay down after so much spinning. My new friend (Mikolai) told me I was a very good dancer and thanked me for the dance. Then the family showed us how the Kaszubian language was preserved through pictures and songs taught to the children by the parents. After the song, the family encouraged all of us to get up and dance with them, and I found my hand being grabbed by the same Polish boy and I was delighted to dance with him again. After we danced a song, he danced with Amanda (it's ok Mandy, I forgive you for dancing with my new boyfriend), as I watched other members of our group (including both our professors) show off their skills. I was very happy to see that everyone was confident enough in themselves to at least give it a good effort : )

After dancing, we looked at the beautiful view of the lake behind the house and everyone began discussing the potential of me staying in Poland and being married off to Mikolai. Wedding options and gifts were even discussed. I laughed at these comments but felt sorry that I would probably never meet a guy in America that could dance with me like him. (really, I had that much fun!). When we were preparing to leave, we talked to Mikolai (who was now dressed in a polo shirt and jeans rather than traditional costume) and learned he is studying computer science in Gdansk University. The bus pulled up and we started to load and I noticed that Jess had in her hand some postcards that she got inside. Of course I had to get some, so I ran back inside. Mikolai (or Mike as he told me to call him) was standing there... and complimented me on my dancing skills again.. and then asked "do you want to be pen friends?" How could I refuse. We exchanged emails and I walked out the door, only to see our bus at the end of the driveway... I ran after it, and after getting on it was met with a lot of laughter from my class. I was told that our guide was convinced that I had decided to stay there. A discussion of my now certain Polish wedding ensued. So yes Mom.. perhaps my Polish dancing skills have helped me land a Polish husband. Just don't be surprised if I am not on the flight home in 2 weeks. Just kidding. At the very least, I have made a new friend and a potential tour guide if ever I venture back to this country : ) Here's a video of me dancing with Mike, Dr. Bizub rocking out on the devil instrument, and Dr. Egan cutting a rug as well ; )


No comments: