Saturday, May 10, 2008

Lungfish, anyone? :)

So here I am in Poland, having an AMAZING time with some awesome people! As you can read about in everyone else's blogs, we have been busy seeing and doing various things. This morning we started out with a leisurely boat ride to Westerplatte, the peninsula where the first shots of WWII took place. Outnumbered by the Germans, the Polish defended themselves for 7 days, impressing even Hitler! After learning about the history of Westerplatte and seeing a magnificently sculpted monument, we made our way back to the bus.
We made a quick stop at the hotel, then we had free time. Kristin, Amanda, Sarah, Kimmy, Jeremy, Maggie and I began with a trip to the aquarium near our hotel. Kimmy, Sarah and I were particularly excited, as we have been feeling very science deprived! (Don't get me wrong, we are loving the trip!) As we made our way through the aquarium, we saw many types of water-dwelling species. So I'm admiring a yellow tang, and I hear Sarah say "Woah! What is that?" I look at the sign, and it is definitely a lungfish! (We learned about these in comparative anatomy during term one, and we had no idea what they looked like. Lungfish are the link between fish and amphibians... very important in the transition to life on land!) I have been ridiculously excited about this all afternoon! It definitely provided me with the science fix I needed! (We will provide you with a lungfish picture when we can get the dang thing to work... I am bad at technology related things...)
Later, we walked along the beach and around the town, taking in as much as we could. After dinner, Kristin, Amanda, Kimmy, Sarah and I sat and people watched for about an hour and a half. This provided us with a chance to experience the Polish culture as it is today. Although we've had the opportunity to tour museums and try all sorts of food, simply sitting and watching people gave us a feel for true contemporary Polish culture.
It was a great day! Tomorrow we head for Malbork to tour a medieval fortress of Teutonic Knights, and then to Torun, where we'll be staying for a couple of days. Time for sleep!

Jess :)

No comments: